The Department of Psychiatry and Narcology with Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology of the State Medical University "LDMU" is currently united. It includes:
Department of Psychiatry and Addiction
In 1959, the Department of Psychiatry of the Medical Institute was organized on the basis of the Psychiatric Department of Luhansk City Hospital No. 2, which was headed for 20 years by Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor Borys Yakovlevich Pervomaisky, who made some contributions to the theory and practice of psychiatric care. Under the guidance of Professor B. Pervomaisky 11 doctoral and candidate dissertations were completed and more than 200 psychiatrists were trained.
On May 16, 1966, the Luhansk City Psychiatric Dispensary with 60 beds was established, which became the training base of the Department of Psychiatry of the Medical Institute and the center of specialized care for the population of Luhansk (it was located on Shovkovo Street, now the regional MSEC). Mykhailova Tamara Mykolayivna was appointed the chief doctor of the dispensary.
In 1971, in accordance with the order of the Voroshilovgrad regional health department № 115 of 18.05.1971, a regional psychoneurological dispensary was established, designed for 185 beds. It became the main institution in the region and the base of the Department of Psychiatry of the Medical Institute.
In 1976, a new typical psychiatric hospital in Luhansk with 500 beds was put into operation, where the Department of Psychiatry was established.
In 1980, the Department of Psychiatry and Medical Psychology of Luhansk Medical Institute was headed by Anatoliy Pavlovych Chuprykov. As an experienced director, he built the collective creative work of doctors at regional clinical conferences so interestingly that 3-4-hour discussions took place fascinatingly and imperceptibly. Almost every year large scientific conferences were held in Luhansk; often groups of Luhansk psychiatrists traveled with conference reports to Kyiv, Moscow, Suzdal, Donetsk, Rostov-on-Don, and other centers.
AP Chuprikov brought with him a new scientific direction - the study of functional asymmetry of the brain.
In 1994, the Department of Psychiatry, Addiction and Medical Psychology was headed by Dr. Med. n., prof. SE Казакова. With her arrival, the department received a new impetus for development.
Under her leadership, the Department of Psychiatry had 19 employees who taught 1,500 students annually, 500 of whom were English-speaking. Annually 40-45 interns of various specialties, 90-100 cadets studied. Under the supervision of Professor SE Kazakova 12 candidate and doctoral dissertations were defended.
Traditionally, the department has paid much attention to the education of the younger generation. Employees tried to form in young people not only high professionalism, but also sensitivity, generosity, devotion to ideals.
The Department of Psychiatry has existed for more than 50 years, during which time managers and staff have changed, but the best principles and traditions throughout the period have been passed down from generation to generation and have remained unchanged.
Department of Otorhinolaryngology
In 1959. on the basis of the ENT department of the regional clinical hospital the department of otorhinolaryngology was formed, which was headed by associate professor Arbuzov Mykola Mykhailovych. He opened a graduate school.
From 1975 to 1988 the department was headed by associate professor Gordievsky Ivan Dmitrievich.
Since 1989 The department is headed by Valentin Romanovich Demenkov - Professor, Honored Worker of Science and Technology of Ukraine. He has prepared 6 candidates of medical sciences, is the author of 200 scientific works, 4 monographs.
The scientific direction of the Department of Otorhinolaryngology is to improve the surgical treatment of chronic otitis (tympanoplasty), traumatic injuries of the ENT organs (rhino-otoplasty) and treatment of laryngeal cancer.
Department of Ophthalmology
The Department of Ophthalmology was established on the basis of the ophthalmology department of the Luhansk Regional Clinical Hospital in 1959.
The first head of the Department of Ophthalmology was a famous ophthalmologist, Professor Stepan Panteleimonovich Petrunya.
Professor Petrunya SP has published more than 100 scientific papers on keratoplasty, medical rehabilitation of patients who have lost their sight, the fight against eye injuries and the improvement of cataract extraction surgery.
From 1971 to 1990 the head of the department was Professor Volodymyr Kostiantynovych Skrypka.
From 1990 the head of the department was associate professor Volodymyr Fyodorovych Yavtushenko.
The main scientific direction of the Department of Ophthalmology was the development of new methods of treatment and rehabilitation of patients with pathology of the visual organ in diabetes mellitus and liver disease.
Since 2014, the Department of Psychiatry and Addiction has been evacuated from the territory not controlled by Ukraine to Rubizhne and merged with the Department of Ophthalmology and the Department of Otorhinolaryngology.